Lie #4- I am safe online
The cyber world is an open door to just about anything.
You can present the best version of yourself. You can find a great online sale. You can say things you wouldn’t have the nerve to say out loud. You can use words to build people up and tear them down. The cyber world can be great and very very dangerous. Girls need to understand the what makes them vulnerable online and how to avoid something that may hurt them.
- 1 in 3 girls are victim to online cyberthreats or bullying.
- 1 in 5 teens have been solicited for sex last year (Only 25 percent of the youth who were approached told a parent).
- 1 in 8 youth ages 8-18 discovered that someone they were communicating with online was an adult pretending to be much younger
- 47% of teens post pictures online for others to see without any privacy settings. (This is an older statistic- before Instagram)
- 1 in 10 adolescents or teens have had embarrassing or damaging pictures taken of themselves without their permission, often using cell phone cameras
- About 1 in 5 teens have posted or sent sexually suggestive or nude pictures of themselves to others
As a woman with influence in the lives of young women click HERE to see how to have this conversation and what to expect.